Current Edition

Past Editions

The Sonoma County Gazette is now made available online in PDF format:

Some web browsers may time out before downloading a large PDF file - you may see a blank page or only a partial page. This can be resolved by saving the page to your computer. RIGHT CLICK (windows) or CONTROL CLICK (mac) on the page link and SAVE TARGET AS to your desktop. Then you can double click the page from your desktop once it has downloaded.

Local Community News, Issues, Opinion & Calendars.
The Sonoma County Gazette Newspaper is distributed FREE to Forestville, Graton, Occidental & Sebastopol addresses and on NEWSSTANDS from Santa Rosa to Bodega Bay, including Healdsburg, Windsor, the Russian River towns of Guerneville, Monte Rio, Duncans Mills, Cazadero & Jenner, to Freestone & Valley Ford – more than 170 locations across Sonoma County.

Volume 4, Number 10   October 18 - November 15, 2007

Ready for Rain

Ready for Rain
Volunteers Clean Up our Waterways
By Laurie Ross

When sending 255 volunteers out to cleanup over 50 miles of the Russian River watershed, it doesn't hurt to start the day with a positive outlook. This is exactly what Robert Clemens, event chair of the 20th annual Russian River Watershed Cleanup, did under gray skies the morning of September 22, 2007. At the Healdsburg Park and Ride lot, Clemens hopped onto the back of a vehicle and addressed the crowd of volunteers waiting to cleanup the river. With the forecast predicting a 70% chance of rain, Clemens stated he took that to mean "a 30% chance of sun." This optimistic prediction was met with applause from the eager crowd filled with many first-time participants. There were also plenty of returning volunteers, including some who indicated they have participated every year since the very first cleanup.

Read story »

Affordable Homes
Part Four
By Vesta Copestakes

I'm one of many parents who listen to our children tell us they can't afford to live where they grew up. I now have a granddaughter and my little family is living in Colorado where homes are half the price they are here. My daughter's family lives in a rental that is 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, full garage, big yard, with a park across the street for $900 a month. Can they find that here? No way. Can they find a home like that to purchase there for under $300.000 - yes. Can they find that here - no way. Yet I want them home, close to me so I can be a real Nana to my little Destiny and I can be close to the beautiful daughter I raised and love so much. (Yes, Mike, you count too, but I didn't raise you!)

Read story »

More Storage Needed
for Treated Wastewater
By Brenda Adelman

The Russian River County Sanitation District (RRCSD) needs additional storage capacity at the treatment plant in order to keep it from discharging contaminants into the Russian River during high water periods. Russian River Watershed Protection Committee (RRWPC) agrees that it is necessary. According to official documents, approximately 30 million gallons of storage is needed in order to fully serve current ratepayers under all river flows.

Read story »

Sonoma County Gaz Extra Sonoma County News